Thursday, March 15, 2007

Other related duties

Bill Blaikie, the longest serving MP in the House of Commons, has called it quits and will not seek re-election whenever the current minority government falls. "I have advised the executive of the Elmwood-Transcona NDP Association that I will not seek re-nomination, and urged them to begin the search for candidates to run for the NDP nomination in this very winnable riding for our party," the Winnipeg MP said in a written statement.
Blaikie was elected almost 28 years ago, on May 22, 1979, and has served as NDP House leader, NDP parliamentary leader, NDP deputy leader, and deputy Speaker of the House of Commons.

I wish him well and would like to add these 2 anecdotes from a friend who worked for him a long time ago. "Never called him reverend, my friend once told me, alluding to his United Church Minister background, before confiding in me that the worst part of the job was constantly sweeping the dandruff from the tweed jacket."

Oh the glamourous life of those Hill staffers. Other related duties indeed.

Did I ever tell you about the time the former MP and Senator from Quebec answered the door to the office without pants...?

3 comments:

Sheena said...

Blaikie is/was/will be a class act. No BS out of him. As a former Pegger who straddled the Trashcona border during her formative years, I also wish him future success.

hmm... Doer retiring anytime soon?

pumpernickel said...

Sheena,

Bill is a class act - was a hard-working, straight-talking MP.

Bordering on Transcona...where are you from? I spent a lot of time in St. Boniface...

pumpernickel

Sheena said...

Grew up in EK, spent university years downtown.